Vahland Fountain Restoration
The City of Greater Bendigo commemorates the centenary of the death of acclaimed architect, William Vahland, his memory living on in architecture throughout Bendigo and regional Victoria. Some of his notable designs in Bendigo include the Town Hall, the Shamrock Hotel, the Bendigo Hospital, the Bendigo Benevolent Asylum (now known as Anne Caudle Centre), the School of Mines, the Mechanics' Institute, the Princess Theatre and the Bendigo Masonic Temple (now The Capital Theatre), as well as hundreds of other churches, commercial buildings and private homes.
In 1906, one of his designs - a drinking fountain in Howard Street - was dismantled to install the newly commissioned 'Discovery of Gold' Jubilee statue. For decades, it was believed the fountain was demolished and had disappeared, but parts of the fountain were dispersed across Bendigo for other purposes. In May 2015, the pieces of this fountain were reunited and stored, with plans to reinstate the fountain underway.
Our Bank has been an integral part of Bendigo's history and Vahland has made an important contribution to our Bank's history. He was a director when the first Bendigo building society was established in 1858 and remained on the board for more than 50 years, Chairman for more than 30 years and Managing Director for more than two decades. Vahland was also a founding shareholder of Sandhurst Trustees. Through the building society, Vahland was an integral part of the vision that has become the great Australian dream, to assist the people in buying their own home.
For further information, visit the City of Greater Bendigo website.
Unveiling of the Vahland Drinking Fountain
Sunday, 2 October 2016
The unveiling of the restored Vahland Drinking Fountain thought lost for more than 100 years marked not only the revival of a historic monument, but also the legacy of William Vahland – one of Bendigo’s most prominent founding fathers.
A large crowd gathered at the newly renamed William Vahland Place to see water flow from the Vahland Drinking Fountain for the first time since it was dismantled at the start of the 1900s.
Chairman of Bendigo and Adelaide Bank – which led funding efforts for the restoration – Robert Johanson, opened the proceedings on behalf of the restoration committee. View the full transcript of his speech.